Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Sowing seeds and waiting for weeds

The seeds are in! The seeds were in three weeks ago – I am a tad bit behind with the blogging!

A few things have been keeping me from the jardín lately:

  • Cinco de Mayo Fiesta wrap-up (I help to plan St. Paul's festival) and multiple margaritas.

  • Graduation of a fellow Spanish-speaker and future garden helper. ¡Felicidades Tomas!
  • Baby shower for my adorably pregnant sister.

Prior to the margaritas, graduations and tiny, baby-blue baby things I found some time to sow the seeds. Or rather watch my family sow the seeds for me. It's the dirt.

My Aunt Mary did remind me that I hated, HATED to get dirty when I was little. I went through multiple wardrobe changed in any given day due to a dirt or anything that resembled dirt.

Why am I gardening then you ask? I love vegetables more than I hate dirt.

Mom and dad putting up the trellis for the ejotes (beans) and guisantes (peas).

My cousins Bailey and Josie and garden compañera Emily planting pepinos (cucumbers). Looks like Josie and I both dislike dirt on our hands.

Look, I'm working! Or posing with a garden tool? You decide.

No really, I helped to plant, too. I did indeed get dirty.
So the seeds are in. The ejotes (green beans), guisantes (peas), espinaca (spinach), cebollas (onions), zanahorias (carrots), pepinos (cucumbers), and calabaza (squash). The jitomates (tomatoes) and serranos will be planted this weekend.

Lesson for the day (and disclaimer). The Spanish language differs country to country. Certain words can mean very different things depending upon where you are. Names for vegetables are a great example of that. I may have just embarrassed myself. I think I used above a blend of Mexico, Spain, Spanglish, chilango, and who knows what else.


Now it's a waiting game. And a weeding game. I've heard organic gardening involves a lot of weed-pulling. Here's to hoping my organic garden is the non-weedy exception!
En mis sueños.

2 comments:

  1. ¡Felicidades, Stacy! Glad that you've planted the seeds already and can't wait to see how things come along. Cuando quieras ayuda, me avisas y te echo la mano en el jardín. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so cute with it's little rock border! But I don't think it compares to the scenic cell phone tower and satellite landing receptor for incoming jets.

    ReplyDelete